Share this blog!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Transfiguration Sunday C Luke 9:28-43 Psalm 99 2 Corinthians 3:12-4:2 Exodus 34:29-35

I don't want to come down from the mountain. I saw Jesus in all his glory. I saw him as I have never seen him before. I saw him as I wish all the world would see him. He was shining, like the sun, like the moon, like the stars. My eyes were almost blinded. On each side of him were two others. They must be Elijah and Moses; like our tradition said. Elijah and Moses; God's greatest prophets  stand on each side of Jesus. Suddenly I cry out, Jesus, let us build tents for you and....but before I can finish speaking they are gone. It was as if lightning flashed in a split second. I blinked; wondering if I had been dreaming. But the look on James' and John's faces told me they had seen too. If there had been a dream we all had it. Then a cloud covered Jesus. I heard a voice saying, "This is m son, my chosen, listen to him!" And it was gone. Like the lightning flash. Again.

Oh how I wanted to stay. My heart raced. James, John, and I rushed to Jesus. He looked stunned. He didn't say anything so we built a fire and just sat with him most of the night. What had the prophets said to him? Whatever it was, it made him sullen, silent, and sad.

Why should the son of God be sad? God himself had thundered from heaven! That should make anyone excited and happy! But Jesus was still quiet.


No comments: